Spray Polyurethane Foam Chemical Health and Safety Training
» en español
Welcome to the American Chemistry Council (ACC)’s Center for the Polyurethanes Industry (CPI)’s Spray Polyurethane Foam Chemical Health and Safety Training. As part of our efforts to support safety and product stewardship, CPI, in cooperation with others, developed and launched SPF training courses which are available free to weatherization professionals, SPF applicators and helpers who work with low pressure and/or high pressure spray polyurethane foam.
About the Training
The Spray Polyurethane Foam Chemical Health and Safety Training provides information about the use, handling and disposal of SPF, potential health hazards and control measures, including engineering controls and personal protective equipment (PPE). There are two courses available. Trainees have the option of taking one or both of the CPI SPF Training courses. Select the course(s) that best fits your profession.
||Low Pressure SPF Chemical Health and Safety Training* provides information for weatherization professionals, applicators or helpers who work with one-component SPF or two-component low pressure SPF kits/systems for air sealing/insulating. REGISTER HERE.
||High Pressure SPF Chemical Health and Safety Training** provides information for SPF contractors, applicators or helpers who work with two-component high pressure SPF systems. REGISTER HERE.
Take the Online Training
- CLICK HERE TO REGISTER for either of the training courses. A valid email address is required to register. Once you have registered, you will be issued a system-generated unique ID which you should save.
- Complete the training lessons on your own schedule. You can complete all lessons during one session, or complete some and then return at your convenience to finish. Estimated time to complete each course is between 1.5 – 2.5 hours total.
- After completing the course units, the system will prompt you to take a 30 question, multiple-choice exam at the end of each training course.
- If you receive an exam score of 70% or greater, you have successfully completed and can print a “Recognition of Completion” form and wallet-sized card for the course you have completed. This is recognition by the Center for the Polyurethanes Industry that you have successfully completed the training course, as set forth above.
Note: Your “Recognition of Completion” will be valid for two years from the date of training completion. As your expiration date approaches, the system will remind you via email to renew your training.
Verify a Worker’s Training Status
The Spray Polyurethane Foam Chemical Health and Safety Training allows users to verify a worker’s training status by checking the individual’s unique system identification number that each person received upon completing the training. It can be found on the “Recognition of Completion” card. No company or individual information (address, phone, etc.) will be displayed in this searchable public database. Click here to check training status via a user’s ID.
Becoming an Instructor
Anyone who passes the 30 question exam with a score of 100% can become an instructor and administer either the Low Pressure or High Pressure SPF Chemical Health and Safety Training course (or both) depending on which course(s) he/she has successfully completed. You can receive training materials and instructions from CPI so that you can teach the course(s) in person to other weatherization professionals, SPF contactors, applicators and helpers. Click here for the Instructor Guide, which provides step-by-step information on how to become an instructor, including:
- Registering as an Instructor
- Creating classes
- Uploading students to the classes you create
- Viewing class information and class rosters
- Sending email messages to your students
*This material produced under grant # SH-22308-11-60-F-11 from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), U.S. Department of Labor. It does not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the U.S. Department of Labor, nor does mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government. This Low Pressure Spray Polyurethane Foam Chemical Health and Safety Training program was prepared under the Research Foundation for Health and Environmental Effects (RFHEE) by the Center for the Polyurethanes Industry (CPI) of the American Chemistry Council (ACC).
**CPI’s online High Pressure SPF Chemical Health and Safety Training satisfies one prerequisite toward completing the Spray Polyurethane Foam Alliance’s (SPFA) Professional Certification Program (PCP). You can find out more information about SPFA’s training by clicking here.